- 375g plain flour
- 250g sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 125g liquid oil
- 180g aquafaba (brine from a can of chickpeas)
- 225g vegan butter, room temperature
- 300-400g icing sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Black tapioca pearls, cooked to packet instructions
MAKING THE TEA:
1) Heat the milk in a saucepan then remove from heat. Add the tea bags and infuse for 30 minutes.
2) Remove the tea bags and squeeze out excess milk. Add more milk to the tea so it comes to 375g. Set aside 30g of the tea for the buttercream.
MAKING THE CAKE:
1) Mix the flour, 125g of sugar and raising agents in a large bowl. Add the cooled tea and oil. Mix until just combined.
2) Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 x 20cm cake pans with baking paper.
3) Whisk the aquafaba until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar and whisk until firm peaks form.
4) Add ¼ of the aquafaba to the cake batter. Fold through.
5) Add the remaining aquafaba. Fold until combined.
6) Divide the batter between the cake pans.
7) Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool the cakes in their pans for 30 minutes then on a wire rack.
MAKING THE BUTTERCREAM & DECORATING:
1) Beat the butter in a large bowl until pale. Add the sugar, reserved tea and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
2) To decorate, spread buttercream on one cake. Top with the other cake. Use the remaining buttercream to decorate the sides and top.
3) Just before serving, top the cake with the tapioca pearls.
4) The cake without the pearls can be refrigerated for 3 days. Consume the pearls before refrigerating.