Healthy hot crossed buns made deliciously dairy free by plant-based nutritionist Sami Bloom. With a base of oats, almonds and buckwheat you can't go wrong this Easter.
'I used wholesome real food ingredients to give you all the fruit and spice you love from traditional buns, plus good nutrition!' - Sami Bloom.
- 2 cups oats
- 2 cups almond meal
- 2 cups buckwheat flour + 1/4 cup extra (for cross paste)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water (for cross paste)
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1.5 cups sultanas
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
1) Preheat oven to 175C, fan forced.
2) Grind oats in a blender until a fine powder.
3) Add oat flour to a large bowl with the almond meal, buckwheat flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Mix to ensure no clumps.
4) In a separate bowl, whisk together maple syrup, olive oil and almond milk.
5) Pour wet mixture over dry ingredients and combine into a sticky dough. Let it sit for 10-20 mins to thicken.
6) Stir through the orange zest and sultanas.
7) Mix 1/4 cup buckwheat flour and 1/4 cup water until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
8) Use an ice cream scooper to take a heaped amount of dough and place on a lined baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
9) Scoop the buckwheat paste into a plastic bag and pierce a small hole with one prong from a fork. Squeeze paste gently over each of the buns, forming a cross.
10) Bake buns for 25-30 mins.
11) Allow to cool for 30 mins and then brush lightly with apricot jam.