Eden is an Australian vegan who started developing recipes five years ago. She loves to create simple, nourishing and tasty recipes that are easy to prepare. 'I hope I can inspire you to try more plant-based meals, whether you are newly vegan or just want to incorporate more plant-based into your diet.' Check out more of her recipes @veganbyeden.
'I love the fragrant aroma of the vanilla almond milk and when added to mash potatoes, it can take your lentil shepherd’s pie to the next level. This dish can be enjoyed all year but is especially perfect in winter so I hope you’ll give this a try.' - Eden Gokkaya
Serves 3 to 4
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can lentils
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp plant based butter
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add the chopped potatoes and boil until soft and tender.
- While boiling the potatoes, in a separate pan heat the olive oil at a medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for a couple of mins until fragrant.
- Add the chopped carrot and peas and cook for a further 4 to 5 mins to soften the veggies. Add the drained lentils, the tomato paste and veggie stock. Stir together.
- Season with the oregano, salt & pepper. Reduce heat to a low and cook for a further 10 mins. Preheat oven to 180C.
- Once the potatoes are very soft, drain and transfer to a bowl. Mash the potatoes to break them down. Add the vanilla almond milk, plant based butter, nutritional yeast, salt & pepper. Stir together until the potatoes are very creamy.
- Transfer the lentil mix into an oven safe baking tray, smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Add the mashed potatoes on top and smooth the top. Brush the top with extra butter or olive oil and bake for 20 mins. After the 20 mins, switch to broiling for a further 5-10 mins until the top starts to turn a golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm.