'This vegan lasagne is delicious enough that even the biggest meat eater will enjoy it!' - Phoebe Conway
Serves 8 – 12
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- 1 cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Big pinch of salt and pepper
- 400g pumpkin thinly sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stalk of celery diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine *optional
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 jar passata
- 1 tin brown lentils *drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 packet dried lasagne sheets
- Fresh basil
1) Soak the cashews in enough boiling water to cover them and leave for 15 mins.
2) Pre heat your oven to 200C and line and baking tray with paper.
3) Place the pumpkin slices onto the tray, drizzle with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper, bake for 20 mins or until just tender.
4) To make the bechamel sauce, place all ingredients including the soaked and drained cashews into a blender and blend until smooth, set aside.
5) Heat a large pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil.
6) Fry off the onion, carrot and celery for 5 mins or until softened, stirring often.
7) Add in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
8) Add the wine if using and allow to simmer for another minute or so before adding in the stock, passata, lentils, herbs and seasonings. Stir well then bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer.
9) Allow the sauce to simmer for 20 mins until thickened slightly, stirring occasionally.
10) Once the sauce has thickened you can assemble the lasagne.
11) Start with a small amount of the sauce on the base of your lasagne dish then layer some of the sheets, top with more sauce and a drizzle of bechamel.
12) For the second layer add sauce and then your pumpkin slices, then continue with layers like the first until you’ve used up all your sauce. Make sure you keep enough bechamel for the top of the lasagne.
13) Feel free to sprinkle the top with extra Italian herbs or even some vegan parmesan cheese.
14) Bake the lasagne for 45 minutes on 200C or until the lasagne sheets are cooked through, if it begins to brown too quickly cover with alfoil.
15) Serve straight away with fresh basil leaves on top and a green salad, any leftovers freeze well too!