Who doesn't love Mac 'n' Cheese? It's a family favourite and the ultimate comfort food. This recipe from nutritionist Phoebe Conway (@pheebsfood) is deliciously creamy and cheesy but 100% dairy free!
'The creaminess comes from cashews and Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk, meaning it will satisfy absolutely everyone!' - Pheobe Conway.
If you want to keep it gluten free, use GF pasta and bread crumbs. Enjoy!
- 100g sourdough bread
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ¾ cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 serves macaroni pasta of choice
- Chives to serve on top
1) Soak the cashews in enough boiling water to cover for 30 minutes.
2) Roughly chop the bread and place into a food processor, pulse until fine and crumbly.
3) Place a pan over a medium high heat and add in the bread crumbs, garlic power, olive oil, salt and pepper.
4) Cook the breadcrumbs for 5-10 minutes, tossing regularly, until golden and crunchy, set aside.
5) Place all of the cheese sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
6) Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions and then drain the water off, place the pasta back into the pot and pour over the sauce stirring to combine
7) Serve immediately with the crunchy breadcrumbs on top!